Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Training like a Warrior (or an idiot!)

Have you ever just decided to do something, and then, the minute it's too late to turn back, you had to ask yourself, "What am I thinking"?

A couple of weeks ago, a friend told me about the Warrior Dash. She was interested in participating and was looking for a few brave souls to join her. So, I Google it and read the following: The Warrior Dash...where 14 obstacles from hell await you along this 3.2 mile course... And for some reason, I kept reading. According to their Facebook page, Warrior Dash is a mud-crawling, fire-leaping, extreme run. This fierce running series is held on the most challenging and rugged terrain across the globe. Warriors conquer extreme obstacles, push their limits, and celebrate with live music, beer, and Warrior helmets.

Now, I don't care for beer, but something about the rest of it sounded fun. The proceeds go to the St. Jude's Childrens Fund, making it for a great cause. I guess that's why I decided to even consider it. So, after mulling over it for a few days, I made an impulse decision and registered.

I exercise and run regularly, but by no means do I think I'm in good enough shape for this kind of challenge. But, it's a good excuse for me to step up my training. Running is more fun when it's for a purpose, and frankly, I'd gotten bored with it lately. So, the Warrior Dash is a good source of motivation. With that in mind, I began pushing myself a little harder this week. And let me just say...wow! How can I run 4 miles 4 times a week but I can't jump rope for 1 minute without wanting to die?! Obviously, I have a long way to go and only 2 months in which to get there. Wish me luck!

My goal: I want to finish! I just want to see if I can. The good news, and the bad news, is that there are a few other young ladies from Woodland running the Dash at the same time. It's bad news because they are much younger than I am and most haven't even had babies, which all of us moms know just isn't the same. This will be a piece of cake for them, while it'll take everything I've got. They're going to make me feel old! It's good news though,  because maybe they can drag my limp, lifeless, old, worn-out body across the finish line if I can just get close! Or at least dial 9-1-1. 
I know I'm crazy, but it might be fun. Come run it with me! www.warriordash.com


2 comments:

  1. My wife wanted to do that, then thank goodness, we found out we're finally having a little one and that squashed that. I would be terrified for her!

    ReplyDelete