Tuesday, August 7, 2012

So it Begins...

August 6th probably seemed like just another Monday to most people. But, at 11:30 that morning, I was reminded that there were "...six and a half more hours until Christmas Day!" I'm entering my 12th season as a coach's wife, which makes me something of a veteran. So, it makes sense that I didn't even have to ask. But, some of you may be wondering.

August 6th, 2012 was the first day of official football practice.

And so it begins, the four-month gauntlet that is a high school football season. After a summer of workouts, the team and their coaches are ready to really get started. The excitement level almost matches the temperatures. There's a lot to do. The season opens with a jamboree in a few short weeks.

There's added excitement in Ranburne this year, the kind that comes with change. We all need to do something different sometimes to reenergize ourselves. Shaking things up is good for football teams too. The toughest opponent a team can face is complacency, in winning or losing. The Bulldogs have not been as successful as they would have liked the past few years, and while Coach isn't a miracle worker, maybe he can be a spark that ignites a fire. Maybe that will make a difference. Whatever effect he can have, it won't happen overnight. But, it will be interesting to watch.

It has made a difference in him. I've enjoyed watching his enthusiasm the past few weeks. He thrives under pressure and enjoys a challenge. In Ranburne, he's found both. Not only is he getting to teach, which he loves, but he's getting to learn about who he is as a coach, without the safety net he was used to. 

The start of the season is the end of summer for me. Coach helps so much when he's home in the summer that it feels like the weight of the world falls on me when I lose him to football. The first day of practice is not Christmas Day for me, but it may be Christmas before I see Coach again from any distance closer than the bleachers. I'm not a bad sport though. If all I can do is watch him from the stands, then I'll be there with bells on. 

I can't wait for the season to officially begin. There's nothing like high school Friday night football. No matter what color you're wearing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment