Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Going for Gold

Okay. I'll admit it. I'm one of those people who are mildly obsessed with the Olympics. I love them. Can't watch too much. My television stays tuned to the coverage constantly. I mean, what's not to love?

I love the whole premise behind the Games. The whole country is united in their support of these incredible athletes. It serves as a reminder of all that's great about the United States of America. And I don't think I'm overstating things. It's amazing what sports can do.

Collectively, Team USA is a source of pride for all of us watching back home. They represent us well. Individually, I must say, they are true inspirations. It's amazing to watch people who have dedicated so much of themselves to a goal. The amount of sacrifice, dedication, and motivation these athletes have is unreal. I think this is the source of my fascination with every minute of Olympic coverage.

As a child, I watched the games, rooting hard for our home team and hoping for bad luck for competitors from the other countries. Now, I realize that they've all worked equally as hard. Naturally, I held my breath as I anxiously watched the US women's gymnastics team win gold last night. But, my heart broke for Anastasia Grishina from Russia when she came off the floor exercise in tears after a disappointing performance. I wanted us to win, but I know then Russian women had worked hard too.

I think one reason that so many of us are drawn to the Olympics is that, on some level, we can all relate to these athletes. We don't have to be the most decorated athlete ever like Phelps to understand what it's like to work hard for something. We take those Olympic qualities of hard work, challenging oneself, competitive spirit, refusing to give up, and so many more into our everyday, regular lives. So, yes, we can relate. To the gold medal moments and Anastasia Grishina moments as well.

We have all devoted time and dedication to the pursuit of some success. Now, I'm not saying that something like my tackling trying to teach two different advanced placement courses this upcoming school year is the same as Missy Franklin swimming a semifinal and a final 20 minutes apart. Nor am I saying that Coach's move to Ranburne is just like Ryan Lochte relentlessly working over the past 4 years to find a way out of Phelps's shadow. But, there's a little Olympian in anyone who sets goals, challenges themselves, and refuses to be defeated.

I really do believe that... I think I'll go get ready for my Wheaties Box photo shoot now. You should probably do the same.
Fab Five wins Gold
    
Michael Phelps wins 19th medal

Anastasia Grishina

No comments:

Post a Comment