Saturday, February 25, 2012

One Proud Momma

This was Jaxon's first year to play basketball, and it has been a great season. Jax has really learned a lot. I've watched him become more aggressive and improve his shooting ability. He listened to his coaches well all season. He knows the names of his teammates and has made new friends. He has really had fun, too.

Jaxon's team was 3 points away from an undefeated season. After losing to Wedowee in the first game of the season by a score of 12-10, The Woodland team went on to win every game. They closed the season with a win over that same Wedowee team to claim the Randolph County 5/6 Championship. Way to go little Bobcats! I have thoroughly enjoyed watching these young girls and boys learn about basketball.

Randolph County 5/6 Champs
I've been proud of little number 6 all season, from his hard work to making mean faces at his opponents. After his first ever shot was on the opponent's goal, Jaxon has turned in to a pretty good basketball player. He was almost always in the right spot on the floor. He had several rebounds in each game. He wasn't a selfish teammate. And he was always paying attention. I've had many reasons to be proud of him, but tonight, I had my proudest moment yet. And it had nothing to do with basketball.

After winning the championship, the team celebrated the season at Pizza Hut. The whole team was seated at the same table, wearing Woodland jerseys and big smiles. When the pizza arrived, one of the little guys asked if they were going to ask the blessing . So, the coach's wife started looking for volunteers. Heads were shaking "no" all around. Then, one little hand raised hesitantly in the air. It belonged to a little boy who has never asked a blessing in front of anyone. A little boy who decided to stand up in front of his peers and give it a try. A little boy wearing number 6.

And his mother had tears in her eyes.

Jaxon wasn't the team's leading scorer or rebounder. While he was as good as any of them, no one would say he was 'the best'. He wasn't the tallest or fastest either. But tonight, he lead his team in a much more important way. And I could not have been prouder. The most important thing a young athlete can learn is how to glorify God in everything he does, on the court or on the field or in life. See, it isn't just about winning.

No, playing sports not about pushing kids to win. It's about giving them an opportunity to learn things about themselves, about who they are. How will I respond in the face of a challenge? Can I find strength when I've played my heart out already but there's still time on the clock? How do I handle the wins and the losses? Can I work as part of a team? Can I earn the respect of others? Can I do what a coach tells me even when I don't understand? Am I willing to work for the successes I desire? Can I be a leader when called upon? And so much more... That's why I encourage mine to play. And, they are learning.

At the close of every practice and game with his 9/10 year-old team, Coach circles his players up for prayer. He always asks if any of them would like to pray. Sometimes they do. Wonder where Jaxon got the courage to raise that little hand? I don't. Next time I say a prayer, I won't forget to thank God for good coaches (and daddies, too). I hope you will do the same.




No comments:

Post a Comment