Wednesday, March 14, 2012

March Madness

Eleven years ago, Coach had a brilliant idea. In order to keep his new wife from complaining about the ridiculous amount of basketball dominating the television in the month of March, he handed her a copy of the NCAA tournament bracket. And so it began.

I had never followed the tournament, and the whole bracket thing was completely new to me. He explained that the object was to try to pick as many game winners as possible. We would have our on little contest. We'd each wager something, and the one with the most wins at the end of the tournament would get the thing she had asked for in the beginning. I think I asked for a dinner date or something like that.

Unlike Coach, I had no clue what I was doing. It was a 2/15 match-up at  best. I was clearly out of my league. He studied match-ups and seeding and countless other factors to make his selections. I flipped a coin. Despite very different methodologies, we both got our brackets filled out.

It was a genius move on his part to get me involved.Not only did I not complain about the constant onslaught of basketball, but I watched every minute with him. There was, however, one little variable that he hadn't counted on. You see...just like the tournament, there could only be one winner, and that year, it was me. That's right. Duke's players weren't the only ones celebrating a win that night! Cinderella had not only made it to the ball, she'd done the impossible! The buzzer-beating go-ahead half-court shot by the biggest underdog in bracket history! Shocked, but a man of his word, I got my dinner. He let me enjoy that one. After all, it was beginner's luck.

Throughout the 11 years of our marriage, I have used a variety of methods to fill out my bracket. The trusty coin, mascot match-ups, uniform preferences, gut feelings, blatant guesses, etc. I've tried everything except applying my extensive basketball knowledge, of which I have none. But, no matter what criteria I decide on, the result has remained the same. That's right...read it again...let it sink in. I have never lost. In the Bailey Battle of the Brackets, I am a perfect 11-0. Undefeated. Somewhere in the background "We are the Champions" is playing in honor of me.

And, if you think Coach graciously accepts his yearly defeat, think again! I call it "March Madness" for a completely different reason. Ha ha. Actually, each year, he pays up and vows to never fill out another bracket. But, I know he doesn't mean it. He won't stop, not until he's evened the score. That could take a while.

Speaking of score, in case you're wondering. After the first two games, I'm up 2-1. After my choice, the WKU Hill toppers, overcame a 16 point deficit with under 5 minutes remaining to put me up one game, I'm feeling pretty good about number 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment