Wednesday, June 27, 2012

"The English Teacher"

What a week! What an exhausting, challenging, long week! What was I thinking?!

This story needs some explaining. As a freshman in junior college, I found my first love. My first teaching love, that is. Biology. I had a great instructor who facilitated my interest in the subject. I'd always been fascinated by one particular area of biology dealing with genetics and the passing on of recessive and dominant traits. I guess that comes from being the fraternal one in a set of triplets. Anyway, Mr. Howell often encouraged me to become a biology teacher.

Two years later, I went to Auburn with that goal in mind. But, to become a biology teacher meant taking classes in chemistry. Epic fail. So...I changed majors and dug myself out of a GPA hole and proudly graduated magna cum laude in Human Development and Family Studies.

Fast forward a few years. I decided to pursue a career in education. I enjoy many subjects so I had to chose a discipline. I'd been out of math classes for six years. No math. Every science class has a lab to go with it. No science. I've always loved literature and grammar. English wins.

I've been teaching English at my current school for two years. I am fortunate to be able to teach Advanced Placement language and composition there. Teaching AP is challenging. I felt like I knew a lot about my content area before I began teaching AP. I learned quickly that there was much to learn. But I love it.

Last November, I found out that the AP Biology teacher was not planning to continue teaching the course. There wasn't exactly a line forming to take it over. It is tons of extra work. So, I researched a little. In our state, once you've taught two years at a particular level, you can take the Praxis test. If you pass, you become certified in that teaching area. I found this out on November 1st. I had to pass the test by January 1st in order to be certified for the next school year. There was one more being given before the end of the year, on November 12.

I paid the late fee, studied my tail off, felt like an idiot when I walked out of the testing room, and knew I'd wasted my money. Six weeks later I got the results. Somehow I'd passed.

Fast forward to last week. I'd been given the AP bio class in addition to my AP Lang classes for next year and it was time to attend the annual summer week-long training. I knew I'd be the dumbest kid in the room. I knew how intense the training are from attending the AP Lang institute each year. So, I was apprehensive. But, here's why I love AP. Not only do you get top of the line students, but the teachers are the best of the best. Those AP bio teachers at the workshop went out of their way to help and encourage me all week. They shared tips and information. They offered support. It was great. I left the institute excited about the challenge and knowing that the rest of my summer will be spent preparing for my biology class. Maybe next year, they'll stop calling me "the English teacher" and recognize me as one of them. One of the all stars, who go beyond what they have to do to help prepare their students for their futures.

I made it through the week. I survived. Too bad I can't say the same for one of the crickets from my lab. I learned tons, but I know I've got a lot to learn. This should be fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment