Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Coach reacts

I'd published 3 posts before I let Coach Bailey in on what I was doing here. I know, I know. I should have told him first, but I knew what his reaction would be. He'd think it was silly. So I waited. Of course, I knew I couldn't wait too long. And, I wanted him to know; I wanted him to like it!

So, on Saturday morning, I found a good opportunity to share this blog with him. His initial reaction was just what I thought it would be. Then, I read a couple of posts to him (Defense holds and Like Cats and Dogs). I will never forget the look on his face. He was actually impressed, and he told me so saying, "Wow, Babe, that's impressive."

I admire him and his work so much. It was meaningful to me for him to respect my writing. He has always respected my understanding of what he does. I thought I knew a good bit about sports until I met him. That's when I found out that I had no idea. He has always talked to me about all the aspects of his job and shared so much of it with me. This is key for any coach's wife or the spouses of those who have to put extraordinary amounts of time into their jobs. You can stand back and become resentful of the attention the job gets, or you can buy in to why they do what they do and become a part of it.

Few people really understand the behind-the-scenes hours that high school coaches put in or the sacrifice their families make. That's one of the reasons why some of us become so feisty! We hear all the negative comments about our coaches in the stands, and sometimes it makes us fighting mad. Because, while those people think they know everything, I know something they don't. These coaches give up time with their own children to coach yours. But, it's worth it for my children to have a dad they can be proud of. (There'll be more on this later!) I understand how important sports can be to young men and women. I know what a huge influence coaches can be on their lives. I'm proud of what Coach Bailey does. And, I'm proud to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment